Friday, February 22, 2013

Beautiful Bullets

This is not a political blog. But there are some things I just have an opinion on, and this opinion happens to lend itself well to jewelry. :)

Gun control. This idea scares me. Even if you don't own a gun, and have no desire to ever own a gun, and even if you're afraid of guns; this idea should scare you. Self defense, hunting, and target shooting aside, this is a human right we are talking about - a right specifically outlined in the constitution! Allowing the government to take away any of our rights is so out of our American Character, that I find it appalling that it's even being considered. The governmental snowball is rolling, and if we don't stop it, it will become an avalanche. 

I watched a video recently where a man was talking about Congressman Giffords being shot at a supermarket during a rally. He said that nearby people stopped the attack using a ball point pen when the shooter stopped to reload. I am proud of them for stepping up and using whatever means necessary to protect themselves, their leaders, and their friends and neighbors. But... If I'm ever in a situation where I, my family, my home, or other innocent people are being threatened, I don't want to stand there and wait until the shooter has emptied his gun, while I hope no one gets hurt. And I'd prefer to have a gun over a ball point pen. And if others would prefer to stand there and hope they don't die, then that's just fine, but don't take my right to protect me and mine away. 

I don't carry a gun, actually, but my husband does. He has hunted all of his life, and he knows how to safely handle a gun to protect himself and others from accidental harm. That's key, I think. I'm scared to see the general public waving guns around willy-nilly! My husband recently bought a new gun, and some of the other customers buying guns obviously had no idea how to use one. Maybe people should have to take a gun safety class when they buy their first gun, I don't think that's unreasonable. 

Anyway, that went on much longer than I thought it would! You're probably wondering how this has anything to jewelry...


I think these are awesome! You can find them in an Etsy shop called Trash and Trinkets. She has recycled, upcycled, repurposed and uppurposed (if that's not a word now, it soon will be) used shell casings from different sized bullets. She uses silver, brass, and copper embellishments and lots of different colored stones or crystals to make each one unique.

I had to try to make one myself! I looked online for some pretty embellishments... for about 10 minutes, then I got too impatient and just made one with things I had on hand. :) Mine is not as pretty as hers, but it satisfied my itch to make one, and I kind of like it. I want to be clear, though, that I won't sell these; it's obviously not my design. But I'm happy to send you to Trash and Trinkets to buy one of your own!



I do have a bullet tie tack that I'll sell you though! It's a nice statement piece. I can make you one out of a mold I already have, or I can make one for you with your bullet of choice if you'd like to send it to me.



In the second picture, the tie tack on the left is made from a bullet that hasn't been shot, and the tie tack on the right is made from the shell of a used bullet. It's kind of cool to make one from a significant shell of your own (from a successful hunt, bulls-eye shot from a tournament, etc). Feel free to contact me if you'd like to discuss the possibilities!

No comments:

Post a Comment