Friday, January 30, 2015

The Widow's Mite

Several years ago my husband and I took a trip to Rome, Italy, and made a side trip to Pompeii. I am fascinated with ancientness, and there are so many ancient places I would love to go! I'd love to tour castles in Ireland and Scotland; see the pyramids of both Egypt and Mexico; go to China to see the Terracotta Army and The Great Wall, just to name a few.

I have refrained from writing a history lesson. You're welcome.

I randomly came across an ancient Roman coin once, and it prompted me to look into using ancient coins in jewelry. I've made a few things over the years, and have really enjoyed shopping for coins that are interesting and meaningful to me. I've made a necklace from a coin that I've hung onto for a while because I couldn't decide if I wanted to give it up or not. I'm sure I'll buy another one at some point, because I just love it! It's not the most beautiful or rare coin, but I love it because it has significance. It's a lepton, sometimes known as the widow's mite. It's significance comes from a Bible story you can find in Mark 12:41-44.

You can read it if you like. I have also refrained from writing a Sunday School lesson. :)

If you aren't religious, it's a touching example of unselfishness, and of sacrificing to support that which one finds to be support-worthy. And if you are religious, it's a poignant example of faith.

Click on the pictures to see the listing for this necklace in my shop.





No comments:

Post a Comment